The global network patch cable market is forecasted to reach nearly $9 billion by 2032, growing at a compound annual growth rate of over 10% from its $3.4 billion value in 2022. This is primarily driven by the 5G network build-up, installing cables in everything from cell towers to ever-expanding data centers.
This article addresses all aspects of custom indoor network patch cables, from definition to advantages, applications, manufacturing process, and what to look for from cable manufacturers in the USA.
What Are Custom Indoor Network Patch Cables?
Fiber optic network patch cables provide high-speed data connections between various equipment throughout a data center. They are used for long-distance transmissions for everything from Fiber to the Home to FTTx. Along the way are many data connections that need custom indoor patch cables that off-the-shelf cables can’t meet.
Ethernet network patch cables are used throughout data centers and home and office computer networks. They connect computers to network hubs, routers, and switches. The Ethernet cable types include Cat3, Cat5, Cat5E, Cat6, and Cat7.
See our complete listing of networking cables for further insight into Ethernet patch cables, fiber optic patch cables, custom composite cables, data cables, mil-spec cables, coax cables, and custom hybrid cables.
Advantages of Custom Indoor Network Patch Cables
The significant advantages of custom indoor network patch cable assemblies are that they can be pre-tested, manufactured in quantity, and dropped into place. Not only that, but compared to field installation, pre-terminated fiber optic cables can save money. Critical applications are fiber trunk cables in data centers, wire harnesses, and hybrid composite cables.
Pre-terminated custom network patch cable assemblies are estimated to save half or more on installation costs. In addition, since the termination is precision polished and tested at the factory, these procedures are not needed in the field. That means there’s no need for field testing equipment or consumables, saving time and money.
That also allows faster installation and cable performance that’s already been measured. All that further reduces waste when cutting and trying cables and connectors in the field.
Custom Indoor Network Patch Cable Applications
There are two main applications for indoor network patch cables.
- Telecommunications. As the 5G global infrastructure rapidly expands, custom copper network patch cables and fiber optic assemblies are needed in small cell networks to ensure seamless coverage throughout a city. There is a growing need for cables in data centers at the heart of the expanding cellular network.
- Transportation. The transportation world is implementing wireless networks for Supply Chain 4.0 as they track shipments and reroute them as road conditions change or when a delivery destination changes at the last minute. That, too, requires custom network patch cables.
Custom Indoor Patch Cable Assembly Manufacturing Process
Buying and installing off-the-shelf network cables doesn’t require the same level of involvement as building a custom cable. Here’s an overview of the detailed process required to deliver high-quality custom cables.
- Design. The design stage typically requires defining custom military cable requirements and the resulting performance criteria. Then, the designer creates the drawings and verifies that they meet the requirements. Once approved, the detailed specifications list and bill of materials are generated.
- Prototyping. The next stage is assembling a prototype. The resulting cable assembly will reveal any performance issues or parts sourcing problems and allow testing iterations of the custom cable assembly design. This results in finding the best assembly options.
- Production. This step brings everything together: conductors, fiber optic cables, insulation, shielding, wrapping, shrink tubing, terminations, custom colors, artwork, logos, and product numbering.
- Quality Assurance. This stage involves extensive product testing that covers the broad areas of physical analysis (pull testing), environmental analysis (heat, cold, dust, moisture), signal integrity analysis, and insertion loss analysis.
- Supply Chain Management. Sourcing suitable materials and components begins with design, is validated in prototyping, and is fulfilled in manufacturing. It’s all about providing a cost-effective military custom cable assembly and supporting that product throughout its life cycle.
What to Look for in a Custom Network Cable Manufacturer in the USA
Finding the right custom network cable assembly manufacturer is critical to your products. Going through the design, prototyping, production, and testing process to find that your product doesn’t work as required is not just a problem; it’s a disaster. Here are the essential elements for reviewing any cable manufacturer.
- Broad Custom Cable Assembly Experience. Experience should be measured in decades; during that time, the manufacturer should relentlessly improve and advance their skills and product offerings.
- Industry-Specific Experience and Expertise. Prospective manufacturers should have extensive experience in your industry. Manufacturers with mil-spec experience should be the starting point. But they also need proven experience with all the requirements of your specific industry.
- Cable Types that Match Your Needs. The right custom cable assembly manufacturer must also have experience with your specific cable type. You don’t need to finance their education with your projects.
- Extensive Design, Production, and Testing Resources. You’re seeking a custom military cable assembly manufacturer because you don’t have the resources or expertise to do it yourself. Make sure the manufacturer you choose has those resources and expertise in abundance.
- Component Sourcing Capabilities. Finding and buying the necessary components is crucial to manufacturing custom cable assemblies. Therefore, the chosen manufacturer should have extensive sourcing capabilities.
- Certifications and Regulations. Custom fiber optic cable assemblies require expertise backed by industry certification, recognition, and regulation compliance.
- Top Level Customer Service. The best custom cable assembly manufacturers engage you from your first moment of contact and through every step of every project. You can tell from the first call that they have your interests at heart.
It can be of further help to have a USA-based cable manufacturer. For further insight, see our article USA-Based Cable Manufacturing Helps Overcome Supply Chain Issues.
We Can Meet Your USA-Manufactured Network Cables Needs
If your requirements are already specified and ready for a quote for your current projects, we are prepared to meet your deadlines and pricing targets. Our extensive in-house services and advanced manufacturing capabilities are in place to meet your requirements.
But Cables-Unlimited offers much more than state-of-the-art manufacturing – our dedicated team is also known for going to great lengths to meet the needs of our customers, including working round-the-clock to meet tight turnaround time requirements.
Our sales representatives are standing by to assist you with product questions and quotes Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern. Of course, you can also email us or complete our contact form, and we’ll get right back to you.